This aspect revealed that investment analyst gathered information, analyzed assets, and performed research that deals with stocks, bonds, currencies, and commodities.
And some of what they do focuses on a specific niche to become experts in their fields, such as a geographical region, particular industry, and a particular asset class.
After gathering the details, they will be presented to portfolio or investment managers, often as part of a team. Experts in different fields get to weigh their insights against one another before final recommendations, and investment decisions are made.
The important thing is collaboration as it is a crucial part of the job, giving presentations and sharing information with their peers.
What is an Investment Analyst?
Investment analyst, also known as an equity analyst, financial analyst, and securities analyst. They involve in advising an individual o future investments.
Investment analyst helps those called stockbrokers through the data they provide for the fund managers and traders.
They do so many things, but some of what they involve in is to provide information to make sure that investment portfolios are well managed and potential opportunities highlighted.
Also, they provide data to in-house fund managers, as others work for stockbrokers and investment banks.
Their work is demanding, require long hours and frequent travel, but they receive good pay with benefits, and most of the current analysts report high job satisfaction.
Critical Skills for Investment Analyst
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- An interest in current affairs
- Team working skills
- Research skills
- IT skills
All these critical skills listed above are fundamental, and let’s see some duties on investment analyst.
5 Duties of an Investment analyst
- By doing regular meeting with stockbrokers, fund managers, stock market traders, and company managers.
- Providing advice and making informed recommendations.
- Analyzing and interpreting complex financial data.
- By writing financial reports.
- By analyzing companies accounts, cash flow information, and profit and loss sheets.
Some of the major issue about investment analyst is that the role is demanding, spending long hours.
This employers aspect of investment analyst include:
- Hedge funds
- Wealth management divisions of investment banks
- Institutional investors, such as pension funds and life assurance companies
- Investment management companies, where analysts provide information to in-house fund managers
Employer will determine base on nature and the range of activities you undertake. In a big company, an investment analyst may work as part of a team producing research that deals with a summary.
But in a smaller company, you have access to give reports on your own. Another is that investment roles can offer graduates the privilege to spend some time abroad, either through secondments, rotations or assignments.
Responsibilities of Investment Analyst
Most of the essential primary function to consider is responsibility; you have to prove your work. Either you are involved in a broader range of activities and disciplines, which vary based on your employer’s nature.
However, you must create and understand financial information like a financial statement and sector data.
They are primarily skilled at examining and interpreting data from various sources and assessing their impact on investment decision-making.
See eight work activities that include:
- To make sure that all compliance regulations met
- Conducting diligence on companies and industries via researching
- Keeping up with the trends with market developments, new investment products and some other area likely to affect the markets.
- Connecting with and providing information to fund managers
- Drafting and writing research reports for a fund manager
- Financial modelling and projection
- Considering how the economic implications of factors such as natural disasters, weather and wars might affect the performance of companies and funds
- Through monitoring the economic update using specialist media sources
Bear in mind that computer literacy is vital in these work fields, and you can acquire some IT skills during training.